Saturday, July 6, 2013

the new convenience store



I realise halfway home after a long day at work that I don't have any food in the fridge. I stop off at the local supermarket on the way; it could be a Tesco, it could be a Sainsburys, or if I'm lucky it could be a Waitrose. I'm hungry and dazzled by the abundance and apparent variety on offer. So many different cuisines from around the world, so many brands and colours and identical vegetables lined up, illuminated by the fluorescent lighting. 

There are no windows, so I quickly forget how long I've been perusing the ready-made meals aisle or debating over whether to buy organic carrots or not. Before I know it I'm in a mile-long queue with a heavy basket full of things I don't need. I thought I was stopping off to pick up a few quick bits for dinner, but have left burdened, nearly an hour later, with a couple of back-breakingly heavy bags. 

I ask myself, how did this happen? And yet it is a ritual I've repeated many times when I've been too lazy to plan ahead.

Most of the time I avoid last-minute food shopping, particularly at supermarkets. It can only ever lead to impulse purchases and frustration. I'm pretty good at food planning and cooking ahead on the weekends, making sure I have my ingredients lined up and ready to go. But like anyone, sometimes life gets the better of me and I'm left staring into a fridge that just contains some old cheese and rotting, forgotten about veggies.

Luckily, there are now alternatives for people who want to support local business and are conscious of eating organic, healthy produce. Small, start-up businesses are opening up around the world, revolutionising the way we buy food. Companies that deliver to your door, either at home or work, offer access to difficult-to-source, quality, artisan ingredients, and do it all with a smile.



Images from top left: The Local Harvest Collective featured on Broadsheet, Tiffany Lung with her bicycle via Tifamade,  sandwhich by Tifamade, fruit via The Local Harvest Collective, cakes ready for delivery via Tifamade, E5 bakehouse via Hubbub, vegetables and the team behind The Local Harvest Collective, La Fromagerie via Hubbub.


In London, Hubbub is my go-to for online food shopping. It allows those lucky enough to live in its delivery catchment area to order from local food suppliers - from Ginger Pig's incredible pasture-raised meats to E5 Bakehouse's sourdough. It means I can arrive home from work, and be greeted by a lovely driver who has collected my selection of goods from around the neighbourhood for me, ready to be cooked and enjoyed.

In Sydney, The Local Harvest Collective are a new business operating a vegetable box scheme with a twist. These boxes are filled with more than just fruit and veg, including artisan bread, eggs and other essentials, as well as a bunch of seasonal flowers. Boxes can be delivered or collected from their charming rooftop garden.

In Paris, Tifamade delivers delicious sandwiches home-made from farmer's market ingredients to your office or event by bicycle. Started by keen cook, cyclist and American-in-Paris Tiffany Jung, you can also be inspired by her tumblr where she features a heap of mouth-watering sandwich combinations.


These are just three examples that have caught my eye, but there are countless others. If you too want to avoid supermarkets, which let's be honest have their profit margins not our health as a priority, then find out what businesses and schemes are operating in your local area. Community gardens, backyard brewers and bakers, farmers markets and more are popping up everywhere.

Ok so they might not be open 24 hours a day, but they also don't make you stand in long queues, fight with the automatic cashier over whether you have placed the item in your basket or not or sell you two for one when really, you just want one. Give me food lovingly prepared and delivered on a bicycle over that any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment